There are two main methods to breed crickets as outlined below. A summary of each method is given below. Specific details of how to create a cricket setup can bee found in our Breeding Crickets page which covers, Food, Temperature, Housing, Diseases etc in detail.
1) Breeding Tray Method (Traditional Method)
The breeding tray methods is the most widely used method and involves a lot of maintenance and active management. This is the main reason why 98% of people give up breeding crickets after just a few months. If you need further information how this method works, visit our Traditional Methods to Breed Crickets page.
2) Zega Substrate System (New techniques)
The Zega Substrate Breeding System is a new method that is the only low maintenance cricket breeding method on the market. Below we look at its advantages it offers:
The Zega Substrate Breeding System- The Smarter Cricket Breeding Solution
How does this Breeding Method Work?
Well in a nut shell, we have created two separate zones within a single container; one high humidity area ideal for breeding; and a lower humidity area which is required for housing and food/water. We have also developed a unique detritus collection system which collects the waste and prevents contamination of breeding substrate and food areas.
This makes cleaning a breeze, eliminates odors and disease, increases egg viability and significantly increases cricket production. We have water and food dispersers which do the feeds for you, even when your on holidays! Unlike conventional techniques which need to be actively managed (daily spraying, and moving pinheads to new containers) our systems run themselves.
You can see why we are pretty proud of what we have achieved. You really can produce more insects with much less effort. Its time to work smarter, not harder! The Zega Substrate Breeding System is the most advanced, low maintenance and productive cricket and cockroach breeding systems in the world.
How we Achieve Superior Productivity…
Productivity is much greater than conventional techniques for the following reasons:
- With traditional substrate techniques, detritus makes contact with the substrate and forms a hardened capping on the surface. This reduces the ability of the female crickets to lay in the substrate, and baby pinheads from hatching and leaving the substrate. Our system removes these impediments.
- One of the main reasons for low productivity for both conventional methods is fungus and diseases affecting eggs in the substrate. Our system increases hygiene and egg viability.
- We add structures on top of substrate which provides cover and protection for the pinheads which often become dinner for adults. We also provide structures which enables them to safely move from the substrate areas to the relative safety of the cartons.
- As large crickets are removed they are quickly replaced with a plentiful supply of pinheads generated from the large surface area of the substrate.
- The waste wet food generated from an average family (two adults, two kids) can produce sufficient crickets to support between 4-12 medium/large bearded dragons (depending on feeding method).
- As there is less maintenance and hassle, your consistency increases which increases success and productivity.
- Egg cartons and food do not need to be replaced nearly as often as they are separated from the high humidity areas and do not contaminated by detritus. This reduces the need to replace egg cartons from every few days to once every few months. Wet food would normally need to be replaced every day, however now it only needs to be added every second day.
- Eliminates odors as their detritus does not mix with wet substrate (i.e. no fermentation).
- As the substrate has high humidity all the time, you only need to wet the substrate once every week or two. This enable you to go on one/two week holidays without the system crashing.
What Our Systems Can do For You !!!
How would you like automated cricket and cockroach breeding systems that;
Needs no active management;
Collects waste for you;
- Food/ water dispensers which attends to your insects for 14 days or more;
- Requires only 5 minutes maintenance every 10-14 days (less time than standing in line at the pet store)
Systems so productive that the average family will be able to feed 4-12 bearded dragons (depending of feeding rate) just from their scrap vegetables;
That’s over $1400/year cash you are currently throwing away!!.
© Zega Enterprises 2018 , © Photographs, diagrams and tables by Glenn Kvassay or as credited 2018